By Beth McCann
The 2012 legislative session has begun! The session opened on January 11 and will run through May 9th. I wanted to let you know about the bills I am working on this year. As the session progresses, I am always open to your input or feedback if you would like to share your thoughts. Here is the legislation that I am proposing:
1) Foreclosure procedures: A bill to establish more requirements for a lender
seeking to foreclose on someone’s home. The bill would require a lender to produce documents proving entitlement to foreclose on a house – requiring more proof than is currently required. This will give consumers a better opportunity to make sure the entity is entitled to foreclose.
2) Campaign contributions: A bill to establish campaign contribution limits in school board and RTD races (the amount is still being determined), suggested by our own Frank Sullivan. I ran this bill two years ago but it did not pass, so I’m going to try again!
3) Juvenile direct file bill: This will remove some discretion from D.A.’s when filing criminal cases against juveniles and require a transfer hearing in some cases. I am in the process of finalizing this bill.
4) Permanent maintenance: A bill to establish a formula for determining the amount of permanent maintenance (alimony) that should be ordered in domestic relations cases. Currently, there is a formula for temporary maintenance, but not permanent maintenance. As a result, the amount of permanent maintenance ordered by the courts differs wildly in various cases depending on the jurisdiction and court to which the case is assigned. This is very unfair to the parties getting divorced and makes it very difficult for them to anticipate their financial futures and discourages settlement of cases.
5) Human trafficking: A bill that will strengthen the current statute by including such things as asset forfeiture and funding for victims.
As we head towards Valentine’s Day, let me take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for making it possible for me to represent you in the State House. It is an honor and privilege to serve in the General Assembly and I am always grateful for your help and support!
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any concerns or comments on legislative matters. I look forward to hearing from you.
Representative McCann can be reached at 303-866-2959 or email@example.com.